It is never too late to quit smoking!
Smoking is a pleasurable experience for many, so it’s not hard to understand the difficulty in putting the habit to rest. But the decision to quit smoking is the most important step you can take to improve your life.
It is important to decide for yourself that you want to quit, being clear about your personal reasons for quitting smoking can help you to stay positive while you are on your journey of becoming a non smoker.
If you need motivation to help you start this journey and make the decision to quit smoking, here are five good reasons why you should quit smoking?
1- Your Health
Smoking damages your heart and cardiovascular system and is a strong risk factor for various cancers, including lung cancer. Smokers also have a much higher risk of heart attack than non-smokers.
- If you quit smoking, your risk of having a heart attack will drop to about half that of a smoker within one year.
- Quitting smoking reduces your risk of lung cancer.
- Quitting smoking reduces the risk of premature death and can add as much as 10 years to life expectancy.
- Quitting smoking reduces the risk of developing COPD and slows the progression of COPD among those with COPD.
Smoking affects your immune system. Smoking lowers your ability to fight off infections. If you smoke, you have more respiratory tract infections than non-smokers.
- Quitting smoking will boost your immune system.
- Oxygen levels will increase in your body.
- It will become easier for your body to fight infections when you quit smoking.
Fertility is decreased by smoking, smoking can affect women’s ability to conceive and damages the sperms in men.
- Quitting smoking, will increase your chances of conceiving.
- Quitting smoking, will reduce the risk of preterm delivery.
- Reduces the risk of still birth.
- Reducing the risk of giving birth to under weight born babies.
Cigarettes smells and taste bitter; a bitter taste can override the taste of other foods. Smokers have fewer and less sensitive taste buds on their tongues than people who do not smoke.
- When you quit smoking your sense of smell improves.
- Your sense of taste will improve, and food will taste better.
2- Your Wallet
Smoking is an expensive habit; the prices of cigarettes continue to increase everyday all around the world. If you smoke a pack a day, that’s nearly $4000 a year even more. That’s a lot of money that could be spent on other things.
- When you quit smoking, you can start saving money.
- You will have more money to pay bills.
- You can take up new hobbies or go on vacation.
- You can save money for college funds or house mortgage.
- You can save money on health care costs and insurance.
3- Your Loved Ones
The smoke you inhale is not the only pathway your cigarette smoke takes. Second-hand smoke affects those around you in several ways. Passive smoking causes a significant number of cardiovascular-related deaths and even more cases of asthma every year. Your actions may be affecting your children, friends, colleagues and loved ones’ health.
- When you quit smoking, you will be doing your family and friends a favor.
- You can do your children a favor by becoming a better role model, a very strong factor associated with starting smoking is having a parent who smokes.
- You can Meet the person of your dreams. Surveys show that most single people will not even consider dating a smoker.
- You won’t smell of cigarettes and smoke, Clothes and hair that smell like cigarette smoke can be a turn-off.
- You can feel closer to your family and loved ones, having to duck out or leave for a smoke on family gatherings or occasions can drive a wedge between yourself and your family.
- You can Feel good about hugging someone, People who don’t smoke can smell the cigarette use immediately which can be a turn-off.
- Non-smokers can enjoy better sex.
4- Your Career
Smokers tend to be always stressing about their next cigarettes, where, when and how are they going to take their next smoking break. Smokers usually take four or more smoke breaks a day, which can amount to an hour or more of time they do not spend working. They are usually less present and less focused on their work.
- Quitting smoking will give you more free time to fucus on your career.
- Quitting smoking will increase your energy level and can perform better.
- You will have less health issues that might keep you away from work.
- You will be less stressed and more mindful
- You will have a better sleep quality and wake up more energetic.
- You will feel empowered and more confident.
- You will have more freedom.
- You will have a better mental health.
- You will become more productive at work.
5- Your Appearance
It is a known fact that smoking causes wrinkles, that’s why smokers look older. Smoking can accelerate the aging process of the skin, which leads to more wrinkles. Smokers use certain muscles around the mouth that non smokers don’t use, leading to deep lines around the lips.
- If you quit smoking your skin will look better.
- The blood will start flowing more into your skin which improves the collagen production.
- Your skin will breathe better.
- You will have a healthier, shinier hair as smoking affects the health of your hair making it looks dull and brittle.
There’s a direct relationship between smoking and decreased bone density, smoking increase your risk of bone fracture.
- When you quit smoking, you will have stronger bones.
- You will have improved stamina.
- You can exercise more.
- Your body will be in shape.
- You will become more fit.
Nicotine stains your teeth, making them yellow or brownish color. It also causes your fingers and fingernails to become yellow. Smoking can also lead to tooth loss and can causes a bad breath.
- Quitting smoking can help you have whiter teeth and brighter smile.
- Quitting smoking stops the discoloration from progressing.
- Your fingers and fingernails will start getting back their normal color after you quit smoking.
- You will have a fresher breath.
- Your hair and clothes will no longer smell of tobacco.
The bottom line: quitting smoking is one of the absolute best things you can do to improve your life.